Compliance with Australian Privacy Requirements
Screenwise’s system for complying with Australian privacy requirements includes:
- the commitment to compliance with privacy requirements;
- the policy and approach to privacy, as explained below;
- the resources allocated to privacy, including our technology systems and services; and
- its people and the training and education it undertakes
Collecting Students’ Personal Information
Screenwise collects student details when the student submits those details to Screenwise either online or by fax, post or email. These details are stored within Screenwise’s secure database system. The details collected may include the student’s full name, address, phone and fax numbers and email address. Screenwise may also collect the student’s financial details (including but not limited to credit card details). Collecting personal details is necessary so that Screenwise can continue to provide a safe, secure and communicative environment on site. Once Screenwise has verified a student’s details the individual has the option of adopting a pseudonym by reference.
Using a Student’s Personal Information
Generally, Screenwise uses a student’s personal information for its activities and operations, and in its efforts to expand and improve upon Screenwise activities and operations. Examples include:
- to respond to and process requests such as for information about Screenwise’s courses, or to enrol students in a course;
- to discuss additional products and services Screenwise offers;
- to administer and manage Screenwise’s courses, including recording details of progress of a student through a course and results achieved, and providing information to regulatory bodies or government agencies;
- to confirm a student’s identify, such as when they contact Screenwise with an inquiry;
- to notify a student of any changes to Screenwise’s courses;
- to measure and assess customer service and analyse customer purchasing preferences;
- to amend records to remove personal information;
- for other everyday business purposes that involve use of personal information.
Screenwise will not:
- use or disclose personal information to market directly to a particular student (without providing a simple means by which the student may easily request not to receive direct marketing communications from Screenwise);
- collect personal information solicited or unsolicited unless necessary to Screenwise’s operations and/or functions. If unsolicited personal information is received Screenwise will destroy this information if it deems not necessary to its operation and/or function.’
- disclose personal information to a recipient overseas unless Screenwise reasonably believes:
- the recipient is subject to a law or binding scheme that operates substantially in the same way as Australian privacy laws; and
- there are mechanisms by which the student can take action to enforce the protection of the law or binding scheme.
Third party service providers
Occasionally, Screenwise may supply a student’s personal information to third parties to perform services on the student’s behalf, such as the following:
- the distribution of marketing information (except where the student has chosen to opt out of receiving this information from Screenwise);
- the supply of datacentre storage and maintenance services for Screenwise’s IT systems and infrastructure (by Australian or overseas providers);
- the supply of credit related services such as credit worthiness, credit provision and credit rating, or bank related services; or
- the supply of billing and payment services.
Screenwise’s relationships with such third party service providers are governed by its contracts with them. Those service providers are required to hold students’ personal information strictly confidential.
Collection of solicited personal information
Screenwise only collects personal information that is reasonably necessary for our business activities.
- We only collect sensitive information in cases where the individual consents to the sensitive information being collected, except in cases where we are required to collect this information by law, such as outlined earlier in this policy.
- All information we collect is collected only by lawful and fair means
- We only collect solicited information directly from the individual concerned, unless it is unreasonable or impracticable for the personal information to only be collected in this manner.
Notification of the collection of personal information
Whenever Screenwise collects personal information about an individual, we take reasonable steps to notify the individual of the details of the information collection or otherwise ensure the individual is aware of those matters. This notification occurs at or before the time of collection, or as soon as practicable afterwards.
Our notifications to individuals on data collection include:
- Screenwise’s identity and contact details, including the position title, telephone number and email address of a contact who handles enquiries and requests relating to privacy matters; The facts and circumstances of collection such as the date, time, place and method of collection, and whether the information was collected from a third party, including the name of that party
- If the collection is required or authorised by law, including the name of the Australian law or other legal agreement requiring the collection
- The purpose of collection, including any primary and secondary purposes
- The consequences for the individual if all or some personal information is not collected
- Other organisations or persons to which the information is usually disclosed, including naming those parties
- Whether we are likely to disclose the personal information to overseas recipients, and if so, the names of the recipients and the countries in which such recipients are located.
- Where possible, we ensure that the individual confirms their understanding of these details, such as through signed declarations, website form acceptance of details or in person through questioning.
Collection from Third Parties:
Where Screenwise collects personal information from another organisation, we:
- Confirm whether the other organisation has provided the relevant notice above to the individual; or
- Whether the individual was otherwise aware of these details at the time of collection; and
- If this has not occurred, we will undertake this notice to ensure the individual is fully informed of the information collection.
Storing and Disclosing Personal Information
Screenwise uses various systems and services to safeguard the personal information it stores, as part of its business systems and processes.
In using a student’s personal information, Screenwise may pass on their personal information:
- to others, like agents, contractors and service providers, who help Screenwise to provide services to its students;
- to regulatory bodies and government agencies;
- in other ways that come up in Screenwise’s business from time to time.
When Screenwise passes on or shares a student’s personal information in this way, it takes steps to ensure it is treated in the same way that Screenwise would treat it.
Screenwise does its best to keep its records of students’ personal information up to date and accurate and not to keep personal information that is no longer needed.
Screenwise also shares with others and discloses information from which personal information has been removed so that no privacy is affected.
Screenwise sometimes has to pass on personal information for legal or safety reasons or other special circumstances.
Students may contact Screenwise to access their personal information, to seek to correct it or to make a complaint about privacy.
Contact should be made to:
- The Registrar, Screenwise
Ground Floor, 84 -86 Mary Street
Surry Hills NSW 2010
Any requests be will responded to as soon as Screenwise reasonably can including, in the case of access and correction requests, if Screenwise is unable to provide the student with access (such as when Screenwise no longer holds or uses the information).
For complaints about privacy, Screenwise will establish in consultation with the complainant a reasonable process, including time frames, for seeking to resolve the complaint.
Analytics, Internet Marketing and ‘Cookies’
Screenwise uses Google webmaster tools, Google Analytics, and Search Engine marketing such as Google Adwords. These services place and read a cookie in your internet browsers, and may use web beacons to collect this information for our use (if your internet browser security settings are configured to allow it). These cookies do not identify anything about you personally, but do allow us to track generic information about your use of our website, such as which pages you visit, and how long you visit them for.
These cookies may also track your activity on our site after you have clicked on a search engine advertisement, and they may also serve you ads based on your prior visit to our website when you visit other websites. You can learn more about the Google cookies and opt out of these at the Google Privacy centre, and there is an internet industry group which runs the Network Advertising Initiative, which allows you to opt out of a range of network advertising beyond what we use here at Screenwise.
This is version dated 5 November 2018.