Denise has been working as a professional Producer, Director, Actor and Author since 1980. During this time she has picked up accolades at every stage of her career, including an AFI Award, and International Variety Club of Australia Award, an ACCTA Nomination, 3 Silver Logie Nominations, 2 People’s Choice Nominations, Film Critics Circle nomination and a Sydney Theatre Critics Nomination.
Best known for her roles as Julie Winters on the ABC’s GP, and Isabelle Turnbull on Channel 7’s Always Greener, Denise is the author of Get Your Act Together: The Actor’s Advisory Manual, published by The Federation Press. Director of the highly successful one man play Fully Committed at the Ensemble Theatre, and Lovers At Versailles Playhouse – Opera House, Denise appeared in and was the original concept creator and Associate producer of Correlli, a 10 part drama series screened on the ABC which gave Hugh Jackman his first starring role.
Some of her other more memorable projects include The Vagina Monologues, The Oldest Profession, Late Nite Catechism, Shirley Valentine, GP, Wild Side, The Dish, and Road To Nhill. Stairwell, a 10 minute short thriller which Denise directed was selected for screening at the Los Angeles International Short Film Festival.
Mentored by Hayes Gordon and a graduate of Hayes’ Ensemble Theatre, Denise is Concept Creator and Associate Producer of the feature film Break In (aka Under A Red Moon) In 2010 Denise starred in Cops LAC on Channel 9 with Kate Ritchie, Gary Sweet and Martin Dingle Wall. Denise played Sue O’Farrell in Channel 9’s Blood Brothers and Bonnie Bright, the Scottish psychic sandwich lady, in Packed To The Rafters. In 2014 Denise starred in Schapelle playing Rosleigh Rose Corby.
Denise was invited to be Patron of the Big Screen Film Festival hosted by the Australian Film Commission and has been a juror on the panel of the International Emmy Awards for 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Denise is contracted by some of Australia’s top Agencies to privately tutor their stars for upcoming local and overseas auditions.
- Australian Film Institute (AFI) Award “Best Performance By An Actress In A Leading Role In A Television Drama for GP, “Alone”
- Variety Club Television Drama Award ‘Best Actor’.
- Chief Glugs Award for Excellence Behind the Scenes
- Silver Logie Most Outstanding Actress on Australian Television – Schapelle 2015
- ACCTA (AFI) Best Supporting Actress in a TV Series or Telemovie – Schapelle 2015
- International Festival of World Cinema Best Actress – Nerve 2015
- Sydney Theatre Critics for Best Actress in a Leading Role – A Charitable Intent 2006
- Film Critics Circle of Australia Best Supporting Actress – Road To Nhill 1996
- People’s Choice Award Most Popular Actress in a Television Drama Series – GP 1993
- People’s Choice Award Most Popular Actress in a Television/Drama Series – GP 1992
- Silver Logie Nominated Most Outstanding Actress on Australian Television – GP 1992
- Silver Logie Nominated Most Outstanding Actress on Australian Television – GP 1991
- 2006 CHARITABLE INTENT Role: Amanda Dir Sandra Bates Produced by Ensemble theatre
- 2005 SHIRLEY VALENTINE Role: Shirley Valentine Dir Denise Roberts Produced by Rock City Events Newcastle
- 2003 VAGINA MONOLOGUES Role: Various Dir Caroline Stacey Adrian Bohm Presents
- 2002 VAGINA MONOLOGUES Role: Various Dir Caroline Stacey Adrian Bohm Presents
- 2001 VAGINA MONOLOGUES Role: Various Dir. Caroline Stacey 2000
- A GIRL’S NIGHT OUT Jacobsen Entertainment. Dir. Caroline Stacey. Role Aunty Ivy.
- 2000 SHIRLEY VALENTINE Ensemble Theatre. Dir. Adam Cook. Role Shirley Valentine.
- 1999 LATE NIGHT CATECHISM Adrian Bohm Presents. Regional tour. Role – Sister.
- 1997 LATE NIGHT CATECHISM Adrian Bohm Presents. Dir. Caroline Stacey Role- Sister
- 1996 SHIRLEY VALENTINE Blue Sky Entertainment with the Sydney Theatre Company. Dir. Adam Cook. Role – Shirley Valentine.
- 1994 THE RISE AND FALL OF LITTLE VOICE Sydney Theatre Company. Dir. Wayne Harrison. Role – Sadie. Adelaide Festival Season.
- 1993 THE SEAHORSE Ensemble Theatre. Dir. Sandra Bates. Role – Gertrude.
- 1992 MAN OF THE MOMENT Seymour Centre. Dir. Sandra Bates. Role – Sharon.
- 1991 THE SLAB BOYS Crossroads Theatre. Dir. Andrew Lewis. Role – Sadie.
- 1990 A NIGHT WITH ROBINSON CRUSOE Ensemble Theatre. Dir. Sandra Bates. Role – Julie.
- 1988 TALK OF THE DEVIL Ensemble Theatre. Dir. Mike O’Brien. Role – Mrs Maguire.
- 1987 ONCE A CATHOLIC Ensemble Theatre. Dir. Mike O’Brien. Role Mother Thomas Aquinas.
- 1986 THE SHADOW BOX Ensemble Theatre. Dir. Doug Anderson. Role – Maggie.
- 1985 WHEN IN ROME Ensemble Theatre. Dir. Sandra Bates. Role – Margaret.
- 1984 A KIND OF ALASKA Ensemble Theatre. Dir. Savas Panas. Role – Deborah.
- 1983 THE BEAR Ensemble Theatre. Dir. Jennifer Don. Role -Mrs Popov.
- 1992 SINBAD THE SAILOR Burbank Films.
- 1989 THE PASSING OF CATHERINE A.B.C. Role – Mrs Boyle.
- 1989 HISTORY OF AUSTRALIA A.B.C. Role – Narrator. EDUCATIONAL
- 1987 MANAGING THE SCHOOLS Education Department. Documentary Drama.
- 1985 THAT’S DEMOCRACY Film Australia. Documentary Drama.
- 1982 COUNTER TALK Film Australia. Documentary Drama.
- Author of GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER: THE ACTOR’S ADVISORY MANUAL published by The Federation Press, 1995.
- CORRELLI, original concept, (a 10 part drama series, created by Denise Roberts screened on the ABC July 1995). Concept Creator.
- 2013 GOOD NEIGHBOURS – 15 minute short film.
- 2012 CONTAMINATION – 30 minute short film.
- 2007 THE GETAWAY Newtown Theatre
- 2005 LOVERS AT VERSAILLES Ensemble Productions Playhouse Theatre Opera House
- 2005 SHIRLEY VALENTINE Rock City Productions – Civic Theatre Newcastle
- Director of SCREENWISE FILM & TELEVISION SCHOOL
- Director & Co-Producer of THE INDUSTRY HEAVYWEIGHT MASTER CLASS SERIES
- 2002 FULLY COMMITTED Ensemble Theatre.
- 2001 THE OLDEST PROFESSION Ensemble Theatre.
- 2000 WIT Ensemble Theatre. Associate Director. Dir. Sandra Bates.
- 1999 BEAUTIFUL THING Ensemble Theatre.
- 1998 STAIRWELL 16mm Short Film. ABC. Screened at Los Angeles International short film festival, September 1998).
- 1997 EDUCATING RITA Ensemble Theatre
- 1997 RIP RIPPER Rat Bag Theatre Company – Balmain
- 1996 VERONICA¹S ROOM Ensemble Theatre
- 1994 CORRELLI – ABC Associate Producer
- 2003 – DIRECTING – METRO SCREEN
- 1998 – PRODUCING AFTRS
- 1996 – SCRIPT EDITING – AFTRS
- 1985 – ACTING – GRADUATE OF THE ENSEMBLE THEATRE (3 YEARS)