Opera Australia is seeking 1x female actor, 5x male actors and 2x male dancers for our new production of The Pearlfishers to be directed by Michael Gow.
This production of Bizet’s opera The Pearl Fishers is set in colonial Sri Lanka, Ceylon as it was, in the 1860s. The principal male characters will be portrayed as Europeans. Other, non-singing characters they will interact with are from the local population and therefore it would be important to cast these roles with actors from southern Asia. As well as a companion for the principal female role and a group of bandits there is the character of a Brahmin priest and to be respectful of the culture and religion of the area this character should also be played by someone from that background. There are also two dancer/actors playing pearl divers and they should also be performed if not by men from southern Asia, then by dancers from other South-East Asian backgrounds, since the divers came from all over South East Asia in the pearl diving season.
This production will play in the Joan Sutherland Theatre, Sydney Opera House throughout the months of January through March.
All roles are non singing / non speaking.
The performances will be: 2016 January 15, 21, 23, 27, 29, February 5, 9, 12, 15, 18, 20, 23, 27, March 3, 5, 8, 12
We are looking for Actors/Dancers of South Asian descent*:
- Attendant to Leila – 1x female South Asian actor; older (45 – 65); tall; slim;
- riest – 1x male South Asian actor; older (60s/70s) man with a beard, fairly slim;
- Dacoit – 4x male South Asian actors; ages 20 to 35; strong, surly build;
- Knife Fighters/Pearl divers – 2x male South Asian dancers; ages 20 to 35; tall, lanky builds; must be comfortable in loin cloths; fight choreography involved.
- Auditions will take place on Saturday, 17 October, at The Opera Cent.
Auditions will take place on Saturday, 17 October, at The Opera Centre. Those who wish to attend are invited to register their interest by forwarding a CV/Resume along with a head shot.
- Casting Administrator
- Opera Australia
Attendance numbers are strictly limited. An invitation to attend the audition will be emailed to individuals who are successful in their application.
*These roles are open to peoples of South Asian descent; a Genuine Occupational Qualification under the NSW Anti-Discrimination Act.