Finalists for the Health Ledger Scholarship in 2017 were announced on Monday 1st May in Los Angeles following an AiF fundraising event featuring the premiere of the documentary “I Am Heath Leader”.
Finalists were announced by Heath’s sister Kate Ledger who was excited by the diversity and calibre presented by this year’s finalists:
“This year we have been inundated with amazingly talented applicants for the Heath Ledger Scholarship. We are thrilled to announce the 10 finalists for 2017 and wish them all the best of luck. I’d like to encourage everyone to apply in the future. The scholarship is continually evolving and expanding each year and we are excited for the forthcoming 10th year anniversary.’
The ten finalists for 2017 include:
- Dakota Shapiro (Dead Serious, The First Month, Arbiter Teaser, Daddy Issues)
- Daniel Monks (Marley, Someone; Go Happy Feet! Are We Awake? Bodies)
- Hunter Page-Lochard (Cleverman, Around the Block, Wentworth Prison, The Sapphires)
- Mitzi Ruhlmann (Killing Ground, Boys in The Trees, Hiding, The Code, Handyman, Yardbird)
- Mojean Aria (Suitcase, Call of the Void, The Bronx Bull, Aban & Khorshid, Double Take)
- Morgan Griffin (Bad Blood, Spin Out, San Andreas, Unbroken),
- Ratidzo Mambo (Glee, Moms, Blind Rage),
- Sam Delich (The Marshes, Gallipoli: The Power of Ten),
- Shalom Brune-Franklin (Thor: Ragnarok, Our Girl, Swiss Avalanche, Barracudal, Doctor Doctor),
- Tilda Cobham-Hervey (Hotel Mumbai, F**king Adelaide, The Kettering Incident, Barracuda, Girl Asleep, 52 Tuesdays)
With the support Screenwise and other Presenting Partners including Qantas, Visit California and Ausfilm, the recipient of the Heath Ledger Scholarship will be awarded with an exciting range of prizes including over US$15,000 towards living expenses in Los Angeles including flights, business management services and a range of other packages designed to assist them in their new acting journey abroad.
Benefactors to the program include the The Ledger family, Michelle Williams, Naomi Watts, Hugh Jackman, Rose Byrne, Vince Vaughn, Liam Hemsworth, Alex O’Loughlin, Deborra-Lee Furness, Phillip Noyce, Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Gregor Jordan and Nicole Kidman and The Hollywood Foreign Press Association.
Screenwise would like to wish all finalists the best of luck for this year’s Scholarship award. Each finalist is commended for his or her hard work, passion and ongoing commitment to the industry. These virtues will continue to be an underlying key factor that will ensure the perpetuity of success that should follow young Australian actors working abroad in the years to come. We are certain that Heath is looking down and shares our pride for young actors who share the dream.